– candy thermometer (if tempering)
– 12 oz. dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate blocks
– 1 lb. white chocolate blocks (if possible)
– ½ tbsp. peppermint extract
– ½ cup candy canes (crushed)- do not use mini candy canes; when crushed, the pieces stick together… it’s just no good. Trust me from experience when I ran out of candy canes. Just buy extra of the good kind.
- Step 1: Before you start, crush the candy canes. I use my Ninja Food Processor and crush the remaining large pieces with a mallet in a large Ziploc bag. Line a 9 x 13 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Step 2: (CAN BE SKIPPED IF NOT TEMPERING, BUT THIS IS RECOMMENDED- makes your candy more “professional”) Start by tempering the dark chocolate (see recipe section for instructions on tempering). After tempering, mix in half of the peppermint extract into the chocolate and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (or until hardened).
- Step 3: Temper the white chocolate and put the remaining peppermint extract in the chocolate before layering onto the dark chocolate. I like to mix the fine candy cane bits into the white chocolate, but you can layer first and then sprinkle the crushed candy canes over top. Press the candy cane pieces into the chocolate and refrigerate.
- Step 4: When the bark is chilled break into pieces or cut into squares and enjoy!