LEMONS and why I love them:
◘ Our body runs on electrolytes, such as potassium, sodium, chloride, and magnesium. These elements conduct electricity in our body, and to maintain balance of our body systems we need to also consume a healthy balance of these mineral salts. High sodium and low potassium in the diet can disrupt this balance and cause high blood pressure as well as increase the risk of cancer in the body.
♥ Just use lemon juice to flavor foods in place of salt!
○ Why? Lemons are readily available, inexpensive, and the benefits are endless! They are a powerful antioxidant, antibacterial, astringent, diuretic, laxative, AND packed full of Vitamin C, A, B1, B6, and P, magnesium, potassium, and folic acid.
○ A little history: Lemons have been cultivated in China and Southeast Asia for about 4,000 years; their literature includes many stories about these fruits. The phytochemical limonene contained within the lemon is being used to dissolve gallstones and showing promising anticancer activity. Squeezing fresh lemon into a cup of hot water when you wake up is great for your gallbladder (breaking up fatty buildup).
○ How to choose the BEST lemon? The heavier the lemon, with a thin peel contains the most juice and is best stored at room temperature (to get the most juice). Rolling the fruit on a hard surface will also produce more juice.
○ In a rush? Squeeze lemon juice into ice cubes trays, freeze, and put in your water for quick lemon flavor! No need to clean and cut every time and they keep for up to 3 months.
○ Good cold remedy:
– One 1-inch slice of fresh ginger
– 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
– 1/4 lemon (juice)
– 1 cup hot water
○ Leg cramps: Drink hot lemon water before going to bed for prevention.
○ Poison ivy and bug bites: Rub lemon juice/lemon wedge on to prevent swelling and infection, and increase healing.
○ Memory loss: Studies have shown that lemons help reduce memory loss.
○ Skin: ♥♥ My Favorite ♥♥ Lemon juice hydrates and rejuvenates the skin cells, increasing elasticity; removing toxins and purifying. This leaves the skin glowing and looking younger. The lemon peel can also be used to improve acne; but be careful not to overdo it, too much can irritate the skin.
☼ POW ☼